RESPECT IS KEY TO SUCCESS
CHARACTERS
-Mama Ruth ---
-Baba Chelsea ---
-Ruth ---
-Big Mummy ---
-Betty ---
-Manager ---
-Customer ---
- Receptionist ---
- Cleaner ---
-Security Man ---
-Passerby---
The action of the play is set somewhere around Ogun state, Nigeria sometime between the "End sars" protest and the present.
ACT 1
Scene 1
The play opens somewhere at Ogun state on a bright shinning hot weather at Mama Ruth's mini store.
( Enters Mama Ruth talking alone about the situation of the country).
Mama Ruth- I'm just sick and tired of this country, no job, no money, when will this country grow... Ayé awón ìjóbá Yi ma baje ni ooo... (Mama Ruth shouts her daughters name) Ruth Ruth Ruth.
(Enters Ruth).
Ruth - Yes maaaaaa
Mama Ruth- So is this how will you just be looking and walking around my shop without a job?
Ruth- Mama I'm trying at least it's not my fault that I can't get a job.
Mama Ruth- It's whose fault assuming you came out with a first class degree just like Big Mummy's daughter (Betty) by now you should have gotten a good job.
Ruth- (laughing loud).
Mama Ruth- I'm talking about something serious and you are laughing at........
Ruth- Mama, Betty have left her job ooo, they aren't paying her well even with her first class degree. Infact we are both searching for job now.
Mama Ruth- Eyah! Chai this country get as he be ooo.
(Enters, a customer wanting to buy a bottle water at Mama Ruth's store).
Customer- Who dey ooo... Ko ko ko..
Ruth- who is that one sef
Mama Ruth- Attend to the customer.
Ruth- What do you want? (With a rude tone)
Customer- Make una give me water.
Ruth- We no dey give water, we dey sell water (With a loud voice).
Customer- You dey too rude, you no fit even greet me first before....
Mama Ruth- Why will she greet you. Nonsense.
Ruth- Mama leave him ooo he is just saying nonsense.
Customer- It is well ooo. Like mother like daughter, better train your daughter well.
Mama Ruth- if I don't train her well you can teach me how to do that. Fool!
Customer- Make una take money give me water make I commot for this hot Sun.
Ruth- Take and get out of here.
Customer- Indisciplined child....
( The customer, Mama Ruth and Ruth leaves the stage).
Curtain Fall!!!
Scene 2
(Enters Big Mummy and Betty seated on a white cushion in the most ventilated part of the sitting room reading articles).
Betty- Big mummy can you see that this country isn't moving forward at all.
Big mummy- It is well ooo, but let keep praying God push us forward.
Betty- Big Mummy come and take a look at this in this article, see what this old stupid Governor is.....
Big mummy- Stop that! (she yield at Betty) don't you know that this man is old enough to be your father, you don't talk like that to elders no matter what he does.
Betty- But mummy.....
Big mummy- listen to what I'm telling you. Hope you get me?
Betty- Hmmmmmm.
Big mummy- By the way you said you wanted to tell me something, what's that?
Betty- Yes ma, I and Ruth will be going to Adidas company for how job interview.
Big mummy- wow! That's very nice, may the good God be with you two.
Betty- Amen amen.
Big mummy- But make sure you behave yourself and be very careful with Ruth. You know she's very Indisciplined just like her mother.
Betty- ah ah Big Mummy
Big mummy- I know what I'm saying ooo.
Betty- Ohk mum.
Curtain Fall!!!
Scene 3
(In the home of Mama Ruth, Ruth explaining the incident that happened at the store to her step father).
(Enters Baba Chelsea, Ruth and mama Ruth seated under a mango tree at the front of the house)
Baba Chelsea- Ruth, get me water to drink.
Ruth- ok sir.
Passerby- Up Chelsea, Baba Chelsea.
Baba Chelsea- For life.
(Ruth comes in with the cup of water).
Ruth- Take sir.
Baba Chelsea- Thank you.
Ruth- Baba Chelsea something happened at the store today.
Mama Ruth- That's what I was thinking of telling him.
(Ruth narrates what had happened at Mama Ruth mini store earlier that day to her step father).
Baba Chelsea- You should have greeted him at first, after all he is older than you are.
Mama Ruth- Really? ( Looking at Baba Chelsea with a bad look).
Baba Chelsea- Of course yes, he is a customer, after all customer is always right.
Mama Ruth- I know you won't support us, but I......
Baba Chelsea- I won't support what isn't right, I usually tell you the truth that your daughter is indiscipline but you turn deaf ears.
Mama Ruth- Abegii, don't talk like that to us. Well we are the ones that made the mistake of talking to you about this... Ruth let leave here.
Ruth- Yes let leave here jare, Baba Chelsea is talking nonsense.
(Mama Ruth leaves the stage together with Ruth into the house).
Baba Chelsea talking to himself...........
Baba Chelsea- I will continue to tell them the truth, just imagine her daughter telling me that I'm saying nonsense, she is very indiscipline. Well that's how her mother brought her up.
Light out!!!
Act 2
Scene 1
(Lights on, Ruth and Betty in the reception office of the Adidas company seated and waiting for the commencement of the job interview).
Security Man- Shey make I go call oga?
Receptionist- Who send you, you too dey fly, shey nah ur work to go call oga?
Security Man- No vex action madam.
( Everyone laughs).
Receptionist- Don't mind him that's how he jumps. Good morning once again everyone, any moment from now the interview will commence.
Ruth- They should be fast with this interview because I'm hungry (talking silently to Betty).
Betty- Why didn't you eat something before coming here, you should know already how interview goes, because you will sit for hours before you get attended to.
Ruth- I woke up late that's why i wasn't able to prepare my meal.
(During their conversation one of the company's cleaner enters to clean up the surrounding where they are seated).
Cleaner- Abeg help me pick up that bottle at your back (talking to Ruth).
Ruth- Why you no fit pick am yourself. (Giving a bad body gesture).
Betty- Ruth you shouldn't talk to her like that after all she is much older than you are.
Ruth- Why are you talking like my step father like this he doesn't support me in anything I do.
Betty- I'm only telling you the truth Ruth, disrespect to elderly ones is just a sign of indiscipline. (turns to the cleaner). No vex ma, I will get the bottle for you. (She stood up and gave her the bottle she asked for).
Cleaner- Thank you ooo... You be better person talk to your friend make she dey calm down ooo.
Ruth- Abegii get out jare.
Cleaner- It is well ooo.
(Immediately the cleaner left, then comes on is Manager,the manager of Adidas company, walking out from a well decorated office opposite the receptionist office. Seeing the manager approaching the receptionist stood up and instructed everyone in the reception to be on their feet to greet and welcome him).
Receptionist- Good morning sir.
Manager- Good morning everyone, get seated everyone.
Receptionist- Manager sir, should they come in to your office now sir?
Manager- Don't worry about that, they won't be any need for the interview, I already did the interview through my CCTV camera. I was watching everyone of them for over an hour now and I already have the person I want.
(Everyone looking at each other's faces with tension. Then the manager instructed both Ruth and Betty to stand on their fit).
Manager- (pointing to Betty). I love the action you took towards the incident that happened some minutes ago between our cleaner and this other girl(pointing to Ruth). I love the way you handled the the situation and at this point, as the power given to me as the manager of Adidas company a say you should resume here from Monday, you're now part of us here...
Betty- (with joy and shouting at the top of her voice). Thank you very much sir.
Manager- And for you (pointing to Ruth) go home and work on yourself, You are very INDISCIPLINE.
THE END!!!
Comments
Post a Comment